The Panopta OnSight vCollector can act as a trap receiver for SNMP monitored devices. You can configure trap alerts by pointing your network devices to send traps to OnSight by adding the IP address of your OnSight vCollector and sending the traps on port 162. SNMP traps are accessible to all accounts, provided all of the following are true:
- The instance is of type network device - if you have existing instances you would like to convert, contact our support group
- That network device has a primary monitoring location set to an OnSight vCollector
- The latest version of the OnSight vCollector
When a trap is fired, the OnSight receives the trap containing a message with the IP address of the device, the OID, as well as the value. When the OnSight syncs back with our cloud, the alert timeline that you have configured for that particular device will begin and alerts will be sent.
SNMP trap configuration can be baked into a template and stamped onto other devices for common trap configuration.
To set up an SNMP trap, perform the following:
- On the network device's Instance Details page, Select the SNMP Traps tab.
- To add a new trap filter, click + Add Trap Filter and configure the trap.
The Base OID field is for determining the type of event you’d like to be notified about using a match pattern. The incident that will be created will use the severity and alert timeline that you specify in this configuration. Also, incidents that are created by traps have an option to manually close/resolve. Otherwise, they will be automatically closed out by the system after 60 minutes.
- Select Create Trap Filter.